Well, this has just been the slam-bangingest year. Having just come off a big play work-shop, the completion of my new book, and a big vaudeville production a few weeks ago I found myself in “H’m, what do I do now?” mode. “That is, when I wake up from a 172 hour nap?” And out of a clear blue sky the perfect new thing came along….the chance to direct Angie Pontani’s amazing new burlesque revue Burlesque-A-Pades at the Soho Playhouse.
Well, I do have my own burlesque bona fides….
* I first presented Miss Bonnie Dunn at the American Vaudeville Theatre as long ago as 1997….
*My 1999 Nada show was a collaboration with Miss Trixie (one of the original Glamazons) and her chorus girls…
* In 2001, I co-produced Orgy of the Dead starring World Famous BOB and others…
* I also produced a show at Coney Island USA’s Burlesque at the Beach in 2001…
* Was profiled in an Adam Gopnick New Yorker piece about New Burlesque that same year (see here: TravSDNew Yorker article0001)…
* Produced and hosted the monthly series Surf Burlesque at Surf Reality in 2001;
* In 2002 produced Sea of Love in Soho Think Tank’s Ice Factory featuring choreography by Julie Atlas Muz, and featuring Kate Valentine , Bambi the Mermaid, et al as dancers…
* In 2004 hosted and booked Floating Vaudeville at Galapagos, featuring the likes of Miss Saturn and Harvest Moon
* Presented a special burlesque show at the Brick Theater starring Dottie Lux et al in 2005.
The next few years were mostly spent flogging my book No Applause (and thus an emphasis on vaudeville) but in recent years, I’ve picked up the burlesque thread again somewhat:
* Produced a special burlesque benefit show hosted by Cyndi Freeman (Cherry Pitts) at Theater for the New City in 2009…
* Jack the Ripper’s Holiday Spectacular at Bowery Poetry Club in 2010, featuring Foxxx Trot and the Bleedin’ Tarts
WHAT’S SPECIAL ABOUT THE NEW SHOW THOUGH is that in addition to all the pulchritudinous ecdysiasts on view, oh the likes of which are:
* The World Famous Pontani Sisters (in various configurations)
* The Maine Attraction (with her amazing Josephine Baker tribute)
* Tassel twirling Gal Friday
* and hula hooping artiste Pinkie Special…
I say, OVER AND ABOVE all that, there will be:
COMEDY, COMEDY, COMEDY!
Lots of vintage, classic and original burlesque sketches and bits (a little of the hubba hubba hubba and the wocka wocka wocka, complete with rim-shots), featuring co-hosts Albert Cadabra and the fabulous Tigger, as well as the star of the show Angie Pontani.
Could you plotz? I certainly hope not! But short of that, I’m very excited!
It’s going to be running Fridays at 10pm starting October 12. For more information, go here.