In Which I Direct Angie Pontani’s Amazing New Show Burlesque-A-Pades!
Well, this has just been the slam-bangingest year. Having just come off a big play work-shop, the completion of my new book, and a big vaudeville production a few weeks ago I found myself in “H’m, what do I do now?” mode. “That is, when I wake up from a 172 hour nap?” And out of a clear blue sky the perfect new thing came along….the chance to direct Angie Pontani’s amazing new burlesque revue Burlesque-A-Pades at the Soho Playhouse.
Well, I do have my own burlesque bona fides….
* In 2001, I co-produced Orgy of the Dead starring World Famous BOB and others…
* I also produced a show at Coney Island USA’s Burlesque at the Beach in 2001…
* Was profiled in an Adam Gopnick New Yorker piece about New Burlesque that same year (see here: TravSDNew Yorker article0001)…
* Produced and hosted the monthly series Surf Burlesque at Surf Reality in 2001;
The next few years were mostly spent flogging my book No Applause (and thus an emphasis on vaudeville) but in recent years, I’ve picked up the burlesque thread again somewhat:
WHAT’S SPECIAL ABOUT THE NEW SHOW THOUGH is that in addition to all the pulchritudinous ecdysiasts on view, oh the likes of which are:
* The World Famous Pontani Sisters (in various configurations)
* Tassel twirling Gal Friday
* and hula hooping artiste Pinkie Special…
I say, OVER AND ABOVE all that, there will be:
COMEDY, COMEDY, COMEDY!
Lots of vintage, classic and original burlesque sketches and bits (a little of the hubba hubba hubba and the wocka wocka wocka, complete with rim-shots), featuring co-hosts Albert Cadabra and the fabulous Tigger, as well as the star of the show Angie Pontani.
Could you plotz? I certainly hope not! But short of that, I’m very excited!
It’s going to be running Fridays at 10pm starting October 12. For more information, go here.