Travesties of 2012
“Variety at its finest” – -Time Out New York
“One of the best entertainment deals in town” – New York Times
Downtown impresario Trav S.D.’s long-running American Vaudeville Theatre presents an eclectic mix of surreal comedy, traditional pop music and New York’s best vaudeville, circus and burlesque performers. In its 16 years of operation the AVT has presented hundreds of top variety acts from sideshow king Todd Robbins (Carnival Knowledge) to Warner Brothers recording artist Lizzie West. From tap dance to magic to good old-fashioned bump-and-grind, Travesties of 2012 will present a diverse mash-up of American entertainment styles in a revue format both naughty and nostalgic.
Featuring the Cream of New York’s Vaudeville Aristocracy:
• Celebrity impressionist Bob Greenberg (as seen on Saturday Night Live)! (July 26 & 27)
• Ventriloquist Carla Rhodes! (as seen on MTV’s Weird Vibes) ! (July 28)
• Clowns Jennifer Harder and Glenn Heroy (as seen on PBS’s Circus)! (July 19, 21, 26 & 27)
• Rodeo rope artist A.J. Silver!
• The sketch team of Audrey Crabtree and Billy Dee Bedlam (July 26-28)
• Contortionist The Amazing Amy! (July 19-21)
• Mentalist/Mind Reader Rory Raven! (July 20)
• Mock Star Killy Dwyer (July 19)
• And all the way from Chicago, sassy chanteuse Meghan Murphy singing our musical centennial tribute to the Shubert’s Passing Show!
Plus Special Performances from the casts of the other NYMF Musicals
Hosted by Me, Trav S.D.
And Sketches, Numbers and Sundry Notions by our core cast: Noah Diamond, Michael Lester, Alexander MacDonald, Shashanah Newman, Isaiah Tanenbaum, and C.L. Weatherstone
Directed by John Hurley
Musical Director/ accompanist: Sarah Malinda Engelke
Stage Manager: Audrey Marshall
Lighting Design: Olivia Harris
Costumes: Meryl Pressman and Holly Rihn
Thursday: 7/19: 9:30pm
Friday 7/20: 7pm & 930pm
Saturday: 7/21: 6pm
Thursday: 7/26: 9:30pm
Friday 7/27: 7pm & 930pm
Sat: 7/28: 6pm
At the 45th Street Theatre Upstairs (354 45th Street, between 8th and 9th Avenues)
For tickets: nymf.org or via Ovationtix at 212-352-3101
To find out about the history of vaudeville, consult No Applause, Just Throw Money: The Book That Made Vaudeville Famous, available at Amazon, Barnes and Noble, and wherever nutty books are sold. Also please keep a look out for Chain of Fools: Silent Comedy and Its Legacies From Nickelodeon to Youtube, coming out in September 2012